Thursday, April 9, 2015

Review: The Anna Series by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1)       
Read: September 21-October 9, 2014
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Anna Dressed in Blood, was a surprisingly good read.
This book is about Cas and Anna. Cas always moves from place to place, killing dangerous ghosts with his athame, never staying long enough to make any friends, but when it comes to Anna, he can't kill her and move on to the next ghost, she's too strong. When he's with her though, Anna doesn't have the urge to kill him for some reason. So Cas tries to learn more about Anna and what makes her different from other ghosts. While doing so, he gains friends, Carmel and Thomas, to help him. When they finally figure out Anna's story, another problem arrives that threatens his life. But with the help of his friends, and Anna, he manages to survive the day.
I don't usually read horror novels, partly because I'm such a scaredy cat, but this book wasn't as scary as I thought. At times, I cringed a little, but it was nothing compared to how I scream my head off when watching horror films. Anyways, this book was great, and I'll definitely be reading the next one.
_______________________________________________________________________________

Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake
Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)
Read: December 31, 2014-January 17, 2015
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Really good. In Girl of Nightmares, Cas tries to live a normal life after Anna dragged the Obeahman to the other side. But he can't. He starts seeing visions of her being tortured, and Cas believes this is trying Anna to get his attention. Cas thinks that Anna needs his help, and Anna is not where she is supposed to be. So, Cas tries to find a way to open a door to the other side to get Anna back. But there is a group of people who don't want that to happen, they believe that it is wrong to bring someone back from the other side, and that Cas has tainted the purpose of the athame by deciding who to kill (instead of just killing every ghost he sees). They've even trained a replacement for him, named Jestine.

What I liked: Jestine's personality. I got so used to Cas, Carmel, and Thomas as a team, so when Jestine was introduced into the book, I was surprized, but I thought Jestine was a nice addition to their group. She made things seem lighter, and made the story more interesting.

What I disliked: Although this book was awesome, I still feel that it wasn't as great as the first one, which had more action in it. Another thing I was slightly upset about was how Jestine and Cas ended off. From what I've read, I don't think they will be keeping in touch...which sucks.
I'm sad to see this series end, and I hope there will be more, but if not, Girl of Nightmares had a wonderful ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woo! Thanks for your comment!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com