Saturday, April 25, 2015

Review: The Dark Elements Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout

White Hot Kiss by Jennifer L. Armentrout
White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements, #1)       
Read: February 21-March 6, 2015
Rating: 3.5 stars out of 5 stars

Hmmm...actually, 3.5 stars...
This book, along with all the books I read, has been on by TBR for a really long time. I never gave much though about Jennifer L. Armentrout's books, but recently, I heard and saw a lot about her, and I wanted to read one of her books. I thought this was a good a book as any to start with so...

WHAT I LIKED: Gargoyles! I've read a lot of books about vampires, werewolves, fairies even, but never about gargoyles. So this book was a refreshing change. I liked the ending too. I loved how the book didn't end right at the climax of the story, like a lot of books I've read tend to do. After the climax, the book continued on until I could get a sense of peace at knowing that things will be pretty low-key for awhile. So I won't be thinking about nothing else besides reading the next book, thankfully. I think there is supposed to be a love triangle between Layla and Roth and Zayne, but I liked that I didn't get to know Zayne enough that I would feel sorry for him, if he didn't get picked. So it was easy for me to choose Roth over Zayne. Another thing I liked was the little excerpt at the end telling the story from Roth's point of view. That was really cool...maybe there should be an entire book told from his perspective?

WHAT I DISLIKED: I could easily predict how Layla and Roth would end up. It was the typical bad-boy-loves-good-girl thing, and it was a bit boring. Another thing: this isn't exactly a dislike, but I hope to see more of Stacy and Sam in the next book. There was one scene, when Stacy acted weird around Sam because she knew he liked her, but I didn't get to learn anything more. I hope in the next book, their friendship will evolve into something more.

Yep...so, even though I did like a lot of things about this book, it didn't reach all my expectations. Granted, my expectations were extremely high, because of all the good things I've heard about this author, but...ah well...
Although this book was good, I don't think this would be my first choice when recommending a book to someone, and I will be reading the next book, but how soon, I have no idea.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Stone Cold Touch (The Dark Elements, #2)
Stone Cold Touch (The Dark Elements, #2)
Read: April 7-25, 2015
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

The beginning was a bit slow for me, but once I started reading more, it got better and better.

WHAT I LIKED:
I felt that this book really got to develop the characters from the first book, and the new characters were good too. I got to learn more about different characters that weren't really involved in the last book, which was good.

I think the main thing that I loved about this book was reading about Zayne and Layla. In the previous book, there was little to no actual intimacy between these two because of Layla's ability to feed off of souls whenever she kissed them. But in this book, Layla managed to get closer to Zayne without killing him, so, yay!

I have this bad habit of getting excited and glancing through the next few pages of the chapter to see what will happen next, and there were two times, I hated what was to happen. I actually had to mentally and physically prepare myself for what I was about to read. Even though the feelings I had were negative(it was extreme hatred and disbelief), I rarely come across a book that makes me feel such strong emotions, so I applaud this author for manipulating my feelings so easily.

WHAT I DISLIKED:
Maybe I'm just a really nice person, but I can't think of anything I didn't like about this book...

JUST A THOUGHT #1:
When it comes to this love triangle between Layla, Zayne, and Roth, I really hope Roth and Layla end up together, because the way I see it, even though I got to see Zayne's love for Layla develop a lot in this book, Zayne will always have Danika. Plus, there is that whole issue about Layla accidently taking Zayne's soul when they kiss. But if Layla doesn't chose Roth, he'll have no one, and I can't accept that...

JUST A THOUGHT #2: I want a pet snake named Bambi, who lives on my skin too.

Can't wait to read the next one!
____________________________________________________________________________________

Every Last Breath (The Dark Elements, #3)Every Last Breath (The Dark Elements #3)
Read: Sept.20-25, 2015
My rating: 4 of 5 stars      

Well, well, well...I have to say, for the final book in a series such as this one, I was not very impressed.

The story as a whole wasn't bad, it just wasn't as explosive and exciting as I'd hoped.

I liked that the pacing of this book was very well done compared to the other books, but the ending was both predictable and not at the same time.

Highlight blank to read spoilers:

I'm sure it shouldn't come as a surprise to most of you if you've read the synopsis, but...Layla does have to sacrifice herself in order to kill the Lilin.  I knew that was coming from the very beginning, but what I didn't see coming was her coming back to life.  I have to admit that was a bit surprising...I thought her death seemed a bit final, but...guess not.

Also something I really loved was the fact that Layla chose between Zayne and Roth quite early in the book, and I was very happy with her decision.  SHE CHOSE ROTH!  YAY! Layla knew what she wanted, made a decision, and carried it out.  End of story.  Thank you, Layla, for cutting to the chase and not making us read pages and pages of you reasoning why you should chose one guy over the other.

Something I HAVE to rant about is the cover.  WHY?  Why make the last book's cover different from the other ones?  Are you trying to cause insanity amongst us readers?

I guess this would be considered a short review, since I don't really have much else to say. This was one of the "meh" books I suppose.          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woo! Thanks for your comment!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com