Saturday, August 22, 2015

Review: Thirst Series by Christopher Pike

Hello!  Again, I'm compiling my reviews, so some extremely amateur reviews coming your way, but don't worry, I hope they get better as I progress through the series, because if I don't I'd be worried...


Thirst No. 1 by Christopher PikeTitle: Thirst No. 1 The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1)
February 13-17, 2014
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Ooooh, this book was soooo good! I'm starting the second one already, and I love it!







____________________________________________________________________________________

Thirst No. 2 by Christopher Pike

Title: Thirst No. 2: Phantom, Evil Thirst, and Creatures of Forever (Thirst, #2)
Read: February 18-March 14, 2014
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
I liked the first one better...






____________________________________________________________________________________

Thirst No. 3 by Christopher Pike
Title: Thirst No. 3: The Eternal Dawn (Thirst, #3)
Read: March 15-April 15, 2014
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Really good...the ending was sad...in a good way that actually made me cry








___________________________________________________________________________________

Thirst No. 4: The Shadow of Death (Thirst, #4)
Synopsis from Goodreads...
"Alisa is a five-thousand-year-old vampire, stronger and more cunning than her adversaries. But now she's trapped in the body of a newborn vampire and at the mercy of a terrible thirst. Worst of all, she's facing enemies whose fierce desire for domination grows ever stronger. The immortal race the Telar is threatening to release a virus to decimate humanity. But Alisa and her friends can't take down the Telar on their own, and they must turn to the mysterious organization the IIC for help. But the IIC has secrets of its own and may have ulterior motives. With two rivals and no one to trust, Alisa must rely on her dark side to defeat them. But it could cost her life, or her soul..."


Title: Thirst No. 4: The Shadow of Death
Wow! When I started this chunky book, I wasn't expecting something this good. Really, I didn't.




I LIKED...
THE STRUCTURE. I'm not kidding and can't emphasise this enough. Every event and every action were plotted so perfectly, it read very well. Even if the book was over 400 pages long, there were no filler scenes. Everything was vital to the story. AND...AND...even though I read the previous book quite a while ago, and could hardly remember what happened, this book made it so east to transition back into this world. I noticed how the author didn't just devote a few pages to explaining the situation, but weaved it into the story so that each relevant part was addressed. AWESOME.

(SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE PREVIOUS BOOK)
THE BODY SWITCHEROO. Do you remember how the last book ended? With Sita dying? And waking up to find herself in Teri's body? That devastated me. Sita was a five thousand-year-old vampire who had the powers of many great beings. She had survived and gained so much, she was practically invincible, and then-BOOM! She just dies. Tell me that doesn't make you angry too? Anyhoo...I was so happy when Sita found a way to get back into her old body!

I DISLIKED...
THE CONFUSING ENDING. OK, maybe it wasn't that confusing, but still. For such an awesome book with a great structure like this one, I would have expected a little more from the ending. It seemed a bit rushed to me, so I had to reread the last few pages a few times to get a full understanding of it. And even now, I'm not sure if I even do.

*Waiting impatiently to get the next book in my hands*

Read: Aug 10-27, 2015           Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Pages: 496                              Genres: Vampires, romance, fantasy

____________________________________________________________________________________

Thirst No. 5: The Sacred Veil (Thirst, #5)Read: Nov. 2-11, 2015
Rating: 3 of 5 stars      
Pages: 441
Genres: Paranormal

Synopsis from Goodreads:

"It's no dream.
At last the truth of what happened during those hellish days has come back to her.

In her five thousand years as a vampire, Alisa - or Sita, as she was originally called - has experienced the equivalent of fifty lifetimes. Every moment of her immortal life is seared deep into her being. Every person she has loved, every victim she has killed - their faces are forever part of her.

Yet, strangely, a handful of memories have been lost to Alisa. As she and her friends embark on a search for the location of a sacred artifact - an ancient veil that may hold the key to mankind's salvation - Alisa soon realizes that her own mind may be her greatest enemy.

The memories she is blocking deal with the most horrifying period in mankind's history, a time when she was tortured by a madman responsible for the deaths of millions. But what information did her torture yield?"


This is a BIG book. Those were my first thoughts when I picked this book up and decided to read it. Actually, it was my second and third thoughts, too. Like all the other books in this series, I thought that the pacing was great. Really, I have yet to come across a book that was better paced.

The one thing that I disliked reading about this book was that...wait...it's not even about the book actually, it's about the people. I HATE how people give me the LOOK when they see I'm reading a book about vampires. Somehow, they got it through their head that all vampire books are about a guy vampire who seduces a normal human girl, yada, yada, yada, yada. But it's not! OK?! People really have to get that stereotype out of their heads, because it is wrong.

This book was SO much more than just good looking vampires, it integrated Nazis and all this history too. I may have learned more about history than I have in my socials class (maybe).

Sita's absolute devotion to Krishna was unbelievable. It's rare to see books where religion is involved, so seeing such complete faith in this one was great!

The ending was...unsatisfactory. It wasn't even a cliffhanger, it just ended at such a strange place, I kept flipping to the next page, expecting to see, another hundred pages or so...I hear there is a last book coming out...can you blame me for hoping that the author won't need another 500 pages to end this? I'd like to finish this series sometime in this lifetime, thank you very much!         

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this series before but it sounds pretty cool! I like when books in a series provides a little bit of background so you can remember what happened previously. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still new to this whole blogging, and reviewing books thing, so every little compliment helps :)

      Delete

Woo! Thanks for your comment!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com