Sunday, September 20, 2015

Review: The Break-Up Artist (Break-Up Artist #1) by Philip Siegel

The Break-Up Artist
Read: Aug. 22-Sept. 20, 2015
Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Pages: 319
Genres: realistic fiction, contemporary, romance

Synopsis from Goodreads:

"Some sixteen-year-olds babysit for extra cash.

Some work at the mall.

Becca Williamson breaks up couples.


Becca knows from experience the damage that love can do. After all, it was so-called love that turned Huxley from her childhood best friend into a social-world dictator, and love that left Becca's older sister devastated at the altar. Instead of sitting on the sidelines, Becca strikes back—for just one hundred dollars via PayPal, she will trick and manipulate any couple's relationship into smithereens. And with relationship zombies overrunning her school and treating single girls as if they're second-class citizens, business is unfortunately booming. Even Becca's best friend, Val, has resorted to outright lies to snag a boyfriend.

One night, Becca receives a mysterious offer to break up the most popular couple in school: Huxley and raw football team's star player, Steve. To succeed, she'll have to plan her most elaborate scheme to date—starting rumors, sabotaging cell phones, breaking into cars...not to mention sneaking back into Huxley's good graces. All while fending off the inappropriate feelings she may or may not be having for Val's new boyfriend.

No one said being the Break-Up Artist would be easy.
 "    

I first saw this book as a giveaway, on Goodreads, and since, I didn't win, I thought I was interested enough in this book, to go chase after it anyway...so here I am, reviewing this book, because I read it...Anyhoo...

The beginning of the book was really slow for me, as I was then in a reading slump, but after I passed the 3/4 mark, things finally started picking up!

What really irritated me was how Becca described the couples in school. She made them sound so dominating. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I don't think couples can actually dominate a school like that. It's just not very realistic. Apparently if you weren't dating someone, you were considered uncool, and it seems that for most girls, their life goal is to snag a cute boyfriend. And according to Becca most girls also start their conversations with "My boyfriend..." Ick, I think that's pushing it a teeny bit too far.

Also another negative is the predictability of this book. Right after I read the synopsis of the book, and knew that Becca was going to fall for friend's boyfriend, I knew it wasn't going to end well, I knew it wasn't going to work out, and I was right! I guess even though I knew where this story was going from the beginning, it was still somewhat entertaining to see how this author will carry it out.

Now, onto the positive part. The one thing that instantly comes to mind is Becca's friendship with Val and Huxley. I'm glad that even though it seemed like Val's boyfriend, Ezra was going to come in between their friendship, they still managed to survive at the end.

After doing a few clicks here and there on this site, I have discovered that there will be a second book, I'm not too sure if that's a good thing or not...I had kinda hoped that this would be a standalone. Oh well, I know I will read it eventually, but it's definitely not one of my top priorities.

Ooh, I'd also like to mention that I thought it was hilarious how many teachers noticed what book I was reading, and pointed out that The Break-Up Artist was not a nice book.  Ha!  I've always been reading under your noses, and you've never noticed, but when I read The Break-Up Artist, you notice...oh come on!     

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Woo! Thanks for your comment!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com