Thursday, February 23, 2017

Review: Oedipus Rex by Sophocles


Oedipus Rex

Read: October 31-November 1, 2016
Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Format: Paperback, 154 pages
Publication: May 2011 by University of Wisconsin Press
Genres: tragedy, classic, play, poetry

Blurb from Goodreads:

"Oedipus Rex is the greatest of the Greek tragedies, a profound meditation on the human condition. The story of the mythological king, who is doomed to kill his father and marry his mother, has resonated in world culture for almost 2,500 years. But Sophocles’ drama as originally performed was much more than a great story—it was a superb poetic script and exciting theatrical experience. The actors spoke in pulsing rhythms with hypnotic forward momentum, making it hard for audiences to look away. Interspersed among the verbal rants and duels were energetic songs performed by the chorus."

Guys! This is the first classic novel...wait, no...this isn't quite a novel....it's a play!  I've given 4 stars to!

Celebrate with me!

I finally found a classic novel....that I appreciated!



Ummmmm....

Yes, anyways! Did you know, until I held this book in my hands, I kept calling it Oepedius Rex. Ugh. Well, I don't anymore! Thank goodness for that!

So!

I quite liked this book....(if my enthusiasm didn't give that away already), and I think it's mainly due to the fact that this translation was excellent?

I mean, I understood way more than any other classic novel I've ever read! And I could follow along with the story pretty easily! It was wonderful!

Okay, now.....one thing that....isn't a praise.....I was slightly confused at the beginning. But not because of the language.

Allow me to explain.

I started the book, thinking I'd read about Oedipus getting jealous or being ambitious....and then....killing his father. I thought I'd get to read THAT, but, nooooooo....it isn't! In the play....he already kills his father!

And that....kinda confused me. I thought I was maybe reading book two or something.....

But! That was cleared up......eventually....so it's all good!

Yes, so. This play is messed up.....I mean....a son killing his father...and....MARRYING his mother?! So very, very messed up.

Agree with me, peoples!

But, this play is....very nicely translated.

Agree with me again, peoples! Even if you haven't read it, because this book is great!

Woo!

Quick!  Name a classic novel you've read and liked!  Or one that you want to read because you think you'll enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. Hm...I've read...um...huh. I need to read more classics!

    ReplyDelete

Woo! Thanks for your comment!

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com